Police killing: accused man says he didn’t fire first shot

Shot dead: David Rixon. Photo: Barry SmithThe man accused of shooting Tamworth police officer David Rixon was heard to tell his girlfriend he didn’t fire the first shot, wished he didn’t have a gun, and should have just caught a taxi home.

Michael Allan Jacobs, 49, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Senior Constable David Rixon on March 2, 2012, after the officer followed his car from a petrol station to administer a breath test.

The NSW Supreme Court has been played a recording of a conversation Mr Jacobs had with Sharon Strudwick, as he lay in a hospital bed recovering from gunshot wounds caused by bullets from Senior Constable Rixon’s gun.

According to a transcript of the conversation, secretly recorded by police, Mr Jacobs asked Ms Strudwick about a funeral.

”Yeah, a funeral,” Ms Strudwick was recorded as saying.

”Yeah f— he died. F— I didn’t even fire first shot,” Mr Jacobs allegedly said.

A psychiatrist has told the jury the tape was not reliable because Mr Jacobs was heavily sedated and delirious during the conversation.

After the couple talked about newspaper articles on the shooting, Ms Strudwick asked: ”Why did he shoot ya for, the idiot?”

”Yeah, ’cause he’s an idiot,” Mr Jacobs said.

”Why wouldn’t he just let ya run and come and pick ya up later,” Ms Strudwick asked.

”Yeah I know.”

The transcript quoted Ms Strudwick saying: ”[indecipherable] reckon Terrance Price was the shooter.”

Mr Jacobs: ” Oh yeah, they must have got a few names off me because I was delirious. Must have been, like, under sedation or something.”

The jury has previously been told Mr Jacobs named Mr Price, his drug dealer, as the person who shot Senior Constable Rixon in Lorraine Street that morning. Mr Price has denied any involvement in or knowledge of the shooting.

During the conversation, Mr Jacobs also spoke about being visited by dead relatives and being rescued from shark-infested waters, the court heard.

Psychiatrist Stephanie Oak said many parts of the conversation showed signs Mr Jacobs was delirious. She described a part of their conversation, about death certificates and coroner’s reports, as a ”very mixed-up sequence of events”.

The trial is in its final days before Justice Richard Button.

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Hangzhou Night Net.

Comments are closed.